Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (Statutory Sick Pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Returning to Work

If you have been off work and have had a 'fitness for work' note from your GP, you do not need an updated note to say that you are fit to return. Once you are better, you simply return to work.

For more information of Fit for Work guidance, please visit

Medicine Sick Day Rule

When you are unwell with any of the following:

  • Vomiting or Diarrhoea (unless only minor)
  • Fevers, Sweats, Shaking (unless only minor)

Then STOP taking the following medicines:

  • ACE inhibitors: medicine name ending in 'pril'  e.g. Lisinopril, Perindopril, Ramipril
  • ARBS: medicine names ending in 'sartan' e.g. Losartan, Olmesartan, Valsartan
  • NSAIDS: anti-inflammatory pain killers e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen
  • DIURETICS: sometimes called 'water tablets' e.g. furosemide, bendroflumethazide, spironolactone, indapamide
  • METFORMIN: a medicine for diabetes

Restart when you are well (after 24/48 hours of eating and drinking normally)

If you are in any doubt, please contact a pharmacist or the surgery.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website